HotDoc Kiosk is an easy to use check-in system that allows patients to check themselves in for their upcoming appointment at your practice. Using HotDoc Kiosk will:
- Save reception staff time by allowing patients to check in independently
- Allow patients to update their contact details and address if there have been any recent changes
- Provide an informative digital check-in service with customisable messages for each practitioner or appointment type
This guide covers the essentials of setting up your Kiosk. If you are doing this for the first time, you will be required to complete all sections below.
Once set up, patients will be able to check themselves in for their appointments using the device according to your practice specific settings and customisation.
In this article
1. The Patient Journey
|Before setting up your device, we recommend that you first review the check in journey from a patient point of view. Please see What does a Patient see when checking in?|
We understand that using a new kiosk device can be a different experience for your practice and patients. By understanding the patient journey first, you and your Team will know what to expect, how to utilise the device to improve your current workflow and be able to confidently address any concerns or queries a patient may have.
2. Setting up your Hardware
It is important to consider where to position your kiosk device in the practice to deflect patients from walking directly up to your reception desk. We recommend following this guide Where should I position the Check-in Kiosk? to ensure the Kiosk is setup in the optimal position.
Before configuring your settings in the HotDoc Dashboard, you will be required to set up your device in order for HotDoc to register it. There are two types of Kiosk devices that your practice may use:
Chromebase (purchased through HotDoc)
- If you have purchased a the Chromebase hardware, please follow the guide on How to setup your Chromebase Hardware.
- To learn how to mount your Chromebase, see our instructions for the Floor Stand.
iPad (BYO device)
- If you will be using the HotDoc check-in software on an iPad, please follow the iPad Kiosk Installation Guide.
3. Logging into your Kiosk
You will need to connect your Kiosk to the internet using either your practice's Wi-Fi connection or alternatively an ethernet cable. Please see How to connect the Check-in Kiosk to Wifi for further direction.
The next step is to turn on your kiosk and login, please see How to set up HotDoc Check-In Kiosk for instructions on how to do this.
The email address and password are the same details that your practice uses to login to the HotDoc Dashboard and Sidebar.
4. Customise your Check-In Settings
- The next step is to login to the HotDoc Dashboard and check the current settings to see if you'd like to make any edits at all.
- Once logged in to your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Check-in > Settings > Devices:
- You can then edit your settings to suit your practice's preferences. Our guide on How to update Kiosk Settings will take you through how to edit each setting in detail and how to make changes. You have options to customise how soon the patient can check in before their appointment and how far after, medicare card expiry check and display settings.
- From here, you can add messages to the Check-in screen that are specific to a certain appointment or practitioner.
5. Mobile Check-In
Now your physical HotDoc Kiosk is ready to go, you can also opt to give your patients the ability to check in via the HotDoc Mobile App.
To do this, see Mobile Check-in for step by step instructions.
6. Educate your Team
- Once your Kiosk is completely set up, we recommend that you take your team through the Patient Journey as per Step 1 of this article to ensure they understand the check-in process from both the practice and patient perspective.
- It is important to note that patients have the ability to update their details when checking in. These updates will go directly into the patient's file, however should your reception staff wish to review these, this can be done by following How to review updates to patient details.
- Keeping your kiosk clean and sanitised is super important and we recommend referring to the following article for information on this: How do I keep my Kiosk sanitised?
Congratulations, you're ready to go with HotDoc Kiosk! Please feel free to check out our Kiosk Support Centre for further resources and to search for frequently asked questions.