This guide will take you through how to setup automatic payment requests for both HotDoc appointments and practice booked appointments. Depending on your clinics preferences and workflows, you may wish to follow the steps to complete both, or just one of the below sections.
| Please ensure that you've already setup your payment method prior to following the steps below.
Instructions to complete this can be found here: How to setup a Payment Provider
In this article
Set up automatic payment requests for HotDoc booked appointments
|Payments is required to be activated for each Appointment Type you would like HotDoc to request payment for. You can set the cost that you wish to charge for each appointment type.|
- Open the HotDoc Dashboard and select Payments > Payment Setup and select Appointment Setup
- Scroll to the Online Booked Appointments section. Here you will see a list of all your HotDoc appointment types. Select Setup next to the desired appointment type:
(Note: you can also access this in Bookings > Appointment Types > Select Edit next to the type you wish to add payments to)
- Scroll to the Payment for Online Booked Appointments and check the box - Request patient's payment method at the time of booking and charge the outstanding invoice. Next, type the cost you wish to charge, then select the green Save button.
- If your practitioners charge different amounts, you can adjust the payment amount per practitioner by heading to Bookings > Practitioner Setup > Edit and following the instructions to edit Appointment Types:
Set up automatic payment requests for Practice booked appointments
Please note: Once you set up payments for your practice booked appointment types, this will send for all upcoming appointments and practitioners. You cannot exclude practitioners from this setting.
If some of your practitioners do not want automatic payment requests for appointments booked directly via the practice, you will need to use the manual workflow for this appointment type and practitioners using this guide: How to manually request patient card details for an upcoming appointment.
To set up automatic payments requests for your appointment types booked directly through your practice, follow the instructions below:
- Open the HotDoc Dashboard and navigate to Payments > Payment Setup > and select Appointment Setup
- Scroll to Payment for your Practice Booked Appointments section and select +Appointment Type Setting.
- Based on your preferences, fill out the following fields in the appointment type settings:
- Select an appointment type from the drop down (these are imported directly from your Practice Management software)
- Enter an estimated cost of the appointment
- Create request automatically: Tick this if you'd like the request to be sent automatically.
- Cancel appointment automatically: Tick this if you'd like the appointment to be cancelled if the patient does not add their payment details within 90 minutes of request being made. The patient will be sent two requests within this timeframe prompting them to store their payment method.
- Click Save once completed.
- You'll see now that the settings have been applied. If you'd like to make changes to the settings click Edit. If you need to remove the setting, select Delete.
- If you'd like to add an additional appointment type setting, please repeat steps 3 and 4.
The following articles may be useful to provide further guidance on managing your payments and the patient journey.