The following article explains the patient journey for appointment types that have been configured to ask patients to upload a valid referral when booking their online appointment.
In this article
How to upload a referral
- When a patient tries to create a booking for an appointment type that requires a valid referral upload, they will be asked to confirm if they have a current referral:
- If you have configured your settings to require a referral upload and patients select No they will see the blocker message you created in the appointment type settings:
- If patients select Yes, I have a referral they will then need to select an appointment time.
- They then need to input the practitioners details who issued the referral. The practitioner may appear in the list if they have a HotDoc profile, otherwise their information can be input manually by clicking Can't find your Practitioner?
Note: If the patient selects I don't know this information , patients will be asked to call your clinic to discuss making an appointment and won't be able to proceed with the online booking.
- Once the patient puts in the referring practitioners detail, they can then upload their valid referral via PDF(s) or image(s) and check the box to accept the terms and conditions, then click Next:
Before uploading their referral
After uploading their referral
Patients can upload multiple PDFs or images of their referral(s).
The file format we accept are PDF, JPEG, JPG, PNG.
- They will then be asked to confirm their booking details and the request will then be sent to your clinic.
- If the booking request comes through to the Sidebar you can access the patients referral from here. You can also access it in the Dashboard in Bookings > Bookings History > Click the arrow next to their name > View Referral.
- The referral will then open in a new tab on your internet browser for you to save or print.
Please note: The referral link will expire 30 days after the appointment date and will no longer be accessible in the Dashboard. If the appointment has been cancelled, it will expire 30 days after the date of cancellation.
How do I set this up?
- If your practice is using Genie, please follow the steps under Referral Upload in this article to see how to set up this feature: Configuring your HotDoc Dashboard for Genie
- If your practice is using the HotDoc Calendar, please follow the steps under Referral Settings in this article to see how to set up this feature How to add, edit or remove an Appointment Type (HotDoc Calendar)