The following article explains the patient journey for appointment types that have been configured to ask patients to upload a valid referral when booking their online appointment.
How to upload a referral
- When a patient tries to create a booking for an appointment type that requires a valid referral upload, they will be asked to confirm if they have a current referral:
- If you have configured your settings to require a referral upload and patients select No they will see the blocker message you created in the appointment type settings:
- If patients select Yes, I have a referral they will then need to select an appointment time.
- They then need to input the practitioners details who issued the referral. The practitioner may appear in the list if they have a HotDoc profile, otherwise their information can be input manually by clicking Can't find your Practitioner?
Note: If the patient selects I don't know this information it will skip the referral upload (next step) and take them to confirm their booking (step 6).
- The patient can then upload their valid referral and check the box to accept the terms and conditions, then click Next:
Before uploading their referral
After uploading their referral
Patients can only upload a PDF file of their referral.
If they are having issues uploading their file, ensure the file format is PDF.
- They will then be asked to confirm their booking details and the request will then be sent to your clinic.
- If the booking request comes through to the Sidebar you can access the patients referral from here. You can also access it in the Bookings > Bookings History section of HotDoc Dashboard.
Please note: The referral link will expire 30 days after the appointment date and will no longer be accessible in the Dashboard. If the appointment has been cancelled, it will expire 30 days after the date of cancellation.