HotDoc Bookings allows you to customise the appointment types that are shown online to your patients so that they are in line with the types in your clinical software.
Appointment types are helpful for guiding your patients to book appointments specific to their needs. Examples of common appointment types are:
- Standard Consult
- Long Consult
- Skin Check
- Travel Vaccination
- Cervical Screening Test
Once added, you will see them appear on your online bookings page under the What is the reason for your appointment? section:
In this article
How to add or edit an Appointment Type
- Login to the HotDoc Dashboard using your Clinic User.
- Select the Bookings then Appointments tab on the left of the screen then select New Appointment Type in the top right corner if you would like to make a new appointment type:
Alternatively select Edit if you would like to make changes to an existing appointment type:
- You will then be shown the New or Edit Appointment Type screen where you can add or change the details for your appointment type:
- Firstly add or edit the name of the appointment type, exactly as you'd like the patient to see it. Tick Enabled for online appointments if you would like patients to be able to book this type online. Leave this box unticked if you'd prefer to have the patient call the clinic directly to book in:
- If you would also like to tell the patient more information about the appointment type, select Add a message to appear as soon as the appointment type is selected and enter your message in the space. This is useful in describing what the appointment type is for so the patient can go back and choose another type that might be more appropriate:
- Under Templates for Practitioner Setup decide if that appointment type is for new and/or existing patients, choose the default appointment length, and enter any Terms and Conditions the patient agrees to when submitting the booking.
These default settings should be what the majority of your practitioners prefer for that appointment type. You can still adjust for individual practitioners in the Practitioner Setup.
- Link the appointment type to the applicable appointment type in your clinical software:
- Lastly, save any changes you have made by selecting the green Save button at the bottom of the screen:
How to remove an appointment type
- If you would like the delete the Appointment Type entirely, select the Bookings > Appointment Types then Edit on the type you'd like to remove:
- Scroll to the bottom of the Edit page and click on the delete button at the bottom:
- If your appointment type is still active for some practitioners, you will receive an 'Are you sure?' alert box. This will show you what practitioners are currently using this appointment type. Click Delete if you still wish to go forward with the removal: