With COVID-19 causing some changes in how medical centres operate, you may want to offer the option to book a telehealth video appointment.
If your practice uses HotDoc Telehealth Video, please read below to learn more about how a patient books and attends a Video appointment.
In this article
How to book a Telehealth Video appointment
Once a patient starts making an online booking with your practice, they will be asked to choose a time and then verify their contact number and email address:
- After confirming these details, they will see the option to confirm the booking request. Selecting Yes, book now will send the request to your practice:
Once the appointment is confirmed, they will receive an email with some additional information about their video consultation:
Please note: For a seamless telehealth video experience, you can set up online payments for your appointments!
Please see Getting Started with Payments, How to set up automatic payment requests for appointments and Payments - The Patient Journey for more information.
How does the patient join the Video consult?
Once the appointment has been confirmed, the patient will be provided the link to the consult in three places:
- The confirmation email
- The Appointments tab in the Mobile/Web app
- The appointment reminder
Example of the app link
Example of the email link
Example of the appointment reminder link
- We suggest that the patient "arrives" 10 minutes early to the virtual meeting room and ensure they have the following ready:
- A computer, tablet, or mobile phone charged at least 50% and with a video camera and microphone
- A browser such as Safari, Chrome, or Firefox installed and updated to the latest version
- A stable internet connection
- A quiet and private room to complete the call from
- Somewhere to write down notes from the doctor during the call
- If the practitioner enters the consultation before the patient does (within an hour of the appointment start time), HotDoc may also send a push notification or SMS to the patient with the link to let them know the practitioner is ready to see them:
Once the patient is ready, they will click on the link. This will direct the patient to a "virtual "waiting room" which will show them their place in queue. We will also automatically arrive them into your clinical software if they visit the virtual waiting room within 30 minutes of their appointment time:
Once they are ready, the patient will select Start Consultation and will be taken into the virtual consult room.
They will be requested to grant access to the microphone and camera & enter their name, before entering the room and waiting for the doctor to join the consult room:
- They will be requested to grant access to the microphone and camera & enter their name, before entering the room and waiting for the doctor to join the consult room:
At the end of the consult, the practitioner may send the patient a notification to capture consent for bulk billing items. The patient will select "I agree" and this consent is then captured and saved in your practice management software.
- The session will then conclude!