HotDoc Mobile Check-in uses geolocation features in the patient's mobile device to verify that they are at your practice and allow them to check-in for their appointment.
This allows you to reduce your reception queues with no additional hardware required. Just like our Kiosks, it verifies the patient with a 3 point check (you can also add a Medicare card expiry check). If the check-in is successful, we will arrive the patient's appointment in your waiting room.
In this article
How does Mobile Check-in work?
Mobile Check-in works with the HotDoc mobile app to notify and assist with checking the patient in.
- Patients with the HotDoc app will receive a push notification before their appointment letting them know to 'Tap here to check-in'.
- When the patient arrives they can click Check in now in the Appointments tab of the app:
- The app will ask permission to access the patient's location:
- The patient confirms the Surname, Date of Birth, and Gender for the booked appointment then clicks Check in now:
- The patient is then checked in and shown their Place in Queue (if the feature is enabled). We’ll also display custom check-in messages if you have one set up:
We will display a message to the patient if they're unable to check-in because of the following reasons:
- The patient needs to be within 100m of the practice to check-in successfully. If they’re too far away, we’ll advise them to try again at the practice or check-in at reception.
Please note: If your practice has activated Screening Mode, this distance will be increased to 250m for patients to be able to check-in outside of the waiting room.
- If their details don’t match or their medicare card has expired, we’ll advise their details need updating and to check-in at reception.
How do I turn Mobile Check-in on?
Mobile Check-in is generally on by default with the HotDoc Kiosk product.
- To turn the feature on or off, head to your HotDoc Dashboard and navigate to Check-in > Settings > Devices:
- Locate the Smartphone device and check/uncheck the box under the Mobile check-in option:
- Select the green Save button to save your change:
How can I let patients know that they can use Mobile Check-in?
As more patients use this feature, you will see a benefit in the reduction of reception queues. Increasing awareness is as simple as letting the patient know about the feature when they check-in via reception:
- Remind patients to download the HotDoc app if they make a booking in person or over the phone
- Let patients know they’ll be able to check-in using the HotDoc app when they arrive