HotDoc Forms is a secure digital form that easily allows new patients to fill out their details prior to their initial appointment. Using HotDoc Forms can:
- Reduce the amount of time a patient spends in the waiting room
- Ensure information required by a practitioner in an initial consult is filled out in advance of the appointment
- Save reception time and minimising the likelihood of clerical errors with manual entry with our easy copy/paste system
This guide covers the essentials of setting up HotDoc Forms. If you are doing this for the first time, you will be required to complete all sections below.
Once set up, you will be able to allow patients to complete their form digitally before they arrive at the clinic.
For clinics using Best Practice, Medical Director or Zedmed, please see our Forms guide here.
In this article
1. What is HotDoc Forms?
HotDoc Forms allows you to digitise your paper forms and automatically send a link to your patients in advance of their appointment time.
HotDoc's Forms solution works by automatically sending a link to a form to a patient based upon their booking criteria. For example, when a new patient makes a booking at your clinic, we can detect that they are new and send them a new patient form link. We have developed this to save both you and your patients time, but also because our research showed that patients prefer to fill in forms ahead of time.
Example of a HotDoc 'New Patient Registration' Form
You determine which patients to send the form to using the HotDoc Appointment Calendar. We will then send a SMS or push notification to the patient with the link to the form.
Example of the form link for a booking made via HotDoc
- The patient can fill the form in on their mobile or computer and submit the form prior to their appointment time.
- Once submitted, HotDoc will send the submission to your HotDoc Sidebar to copy and paste the details into the patient's clinical record.
- Once reviewed, the form goes into your 'completed' list. The form will stay viewable for 30 days from submission and will automatically clear after that time.
2. The Patient journey
Before setting up your HotDoc New Patient Registration Form, we recommend that you first review the journey from a patient point of view. See What does the New Patient form look like for the Patient? for more information on the patient journey.
We understand that using an online system to process your new patient registration forms can be a different experience for your clinic and patients. By reviewing the patient journey, you and your team will be able to know what to expect and confidently preempt any concerns or questions.
HotDoc Forms has been developed to securely send a link to the patient who's made the booking.
3. Create your Form
The HotDoc Dashboard provides a setup wizard that allows you to create and customise your form. See How to create a Form to be guided through the process.
HotDoc allows for two types of forms so you can match your current form layout as closely as possible. You can choose between:
- The Demographic form - a shorter form that captures only main demographic information
- The Clinical form - a longer and more detailed form for capturing clinical history.
Please note, once you have selected your preferred form type, you are able to customise and remove questions.
We recommend ensuring your form is not too long to ensure the patient finishes their submission. In some cases, clinics will capture the demographic information via HotDoc online and ask the patient to fill out the clinical information when they arrive for their appointment.
To create your form, navigate to your HotDoc Dashboard > Forms > Forms > Create new form and follow the instructions in How to create a Form.
After your form is created, we recommend clicking the Preview button so you can go through the form as if you were a patient. This allows you to double check the options you've chosen and any spelling or grammar that may need to be adjusted.
4. How to send the Form
With your form completed, let's learn how to send the link to the form ahead of a patient's appointment.
The HotDoc Form link is sent both automatically when you confirm a new patient booking via the Sidebar, or when you create a booking and opt to tick the form checkbox.
See How to send a HotDoc Form request to a patient for more information.
5. How to process your form submissions
As patients submit their forms, you will be required to process them using the HotDoc Sidebar to copy and paste information into the patient record.
Now that you have created your form, it's important that your team is familiar with how to process the forms into your clinical software as they are submitted. This will ensure the patient's form is completed and their file is updated before they arrive at the practice.
- An alert similar to the one below will come through the HotDoc Sidebar when a patient makes a Form submission:
- We recommend that your team checks the HotDoc Sidebar every morning by clicking the Menu button and navigating to the Forms section to process any new forms:
Once in the Forms section of the Sidebar, your team will need to copy and paste all parts of the form submission into the patient's clinical record. To learn how to manage your submissions, please see How to process form submissions with the HotDoc Appointment Calendar.
6. How to generate a PDF version
|As the patient submits their form, you can also download a PDF version to be saved to their clinical record.|
To save your team further time and resources, HotDoc will save a version of the patient form into the Dashboard. However, we also offer the option to manually download a PDF version of the form to save elsewhere by selecting the Download PDF button in the HotDoc Dashboard:
Example of the Download PDF button
6. Switch your Form to Live Mode
|Congratulations! You have now completed the setup of HotDoc Forms. All that's left to do is to switch it to Live mode so we can start sending the link to your new patients!|
Once your form is set up and you have informed your staff, you should be ready to turn the form on through the HotDoc Dashboard. The form will then be available to all new patients to fill in.
- To switch the form to Live Mode, navigate to your HotDoc Dashboard > Forms > Forms. You can then see your form in Preview mode:
- Select the green Make live button on the right-hand side and confirm you are ready to switch on the form by selecting Yes, make live:
- From here, keep an eye on your Sidebar for form submissions!