The HotDoc Appointment Calendar allows you to customise the appointment types that are shown online to your patients so that they can choose which appointment suits them best during the booking journey.
This article will take you through how to add, edit or remove these appointment types in the HotDoc Dashboard.
For clinics using Best Practice, Medical Director or Zedmed, please see our Appointment Setup Guide here.
For clinics using Genie Solutions, please see our Appointment Setup guide here.
In this article
What is an Appointment Type?
Appointment Types are required to be set up in the HotDoc Dashboard so that a patient can choose a reason for their booking as they request an appointment.
- We suggest that customise your HotDoc Appointment Types to be in line with the types in your clinical software and what you perform at your clinic.
- Once Appointment types are added to your HotDoc Dashboard, you will see them appear on your online bookings page under the What is the reason for your appointment? section:
Example of how Appointment Types appear to a patient
How to add or edit an Appointment Type
- Login to the HotDoc Dashboard using your Clinic User.
- Select the Bookings then Appointments tab on the left of the screen then select New Appointment Type in the top right corner if you would like to make a new appointment type or Edit to change an existing type:
You will then be shown the New or Edit Appointment Type screen where you can add or change the details for your appointment type.
How it appears to patients (display details)
This section allows you to edit the appointment name, colour indication, online settings, notes, alert messages and more.
- Firstly add or edit the name of the appointment type, exactly as you'd like the patient to see it. You can also do the following:
- Select a colour to associate with the Appointment. This colour will appear in your Appointment Calendar this type of booking is entered (supported browsers are Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari).
- Tick Enabled for online appointments if you would like patients to be able to book this type online. Leave this box unticked if you'd prefer to have the patient call the clinic directly to book in.
- Ask patients to provide a brief description of why they are booking this consult by ticking the box next to Ask patients to enter the reason for their appointment. See Pre-Consult Notes for more information.
- Add a message to appear as soon as the appointment type is selected will alert the patient about extra information. This is useful for describing what the appointment type is in further detail.
- Click Save!
The next section is only relevant if you wish to make the appointment type a Telehealth appointment type.
- If so, select the checkbox and the Patient eligibility options. See Telehealth Mode for further information.
- Click Save!
The Referrals section is relevant if you wish to accept referrals for an appointment type.
Patients can upload multiple PDFs or images of their referral(s).
The file format we accept are PDF, JPEG, JPG, PNG.
To enable this, check the box next to Ask patient if they have a referral.
If a referral is required to make an online appointment, select the Yes radio button and add in terms and conditions into the field.
- If you require the patient to upload a copy of their referral, select the Mandatory radio button.
Press the green Save button.
Once a patient uploads their referral and requests an appointment online, you can access this in the Dashboard by going to Bookings > Bookings History > Click the arrow next to the booking and select View Referral:
- The referral will then open in a new tab on your internet browser for you to save or print.
Please note: The referral link will expire 30 days after the appointment date. If the appointment has been cancelled, it will expire 30 days after the date of cancellation. It will then say Referral preview expired. Please review Referral Uploads - The Patient Journey to see how this process appears to patients.
Templates for Practitioners
- Under Templates for Practitioner Setup decide if that appointment type is for new and/or existing patients, the default appointment length, and enter any extra Terms and Conditions the patient agrees to when submitting the booking.
- Click Save!
Add payment for online booked appointments
- You can then set up payment collection for this appointment type. If required, setup your payments or enter the amount you wish to collect.
- Click Save.
Select your practitioners
You can activate the appointment type for any of your practitioners
- Check the boxes next to their name to allow them to take bookings for both new and/or existing patients:
- Lastly, save any changes you have made by selecting the green Save button at the bottom of the screen.
How to remove an appointment type
- If you would like the delete the Appointment Type entirely, select the Bookings > Appointment Types then Delete on the type you'd like to remove:
- You will then see an 'Are you sure?' alert box. Click Yes, Delete if you still wish to go forward with the removal.