The following steps will go through the basics of setting up your HotDoc Dashboard if you are using Specialist Bookings with Genie software.
Before configuring your HotDoc Dashboard, you must firstly set up your Genie Appointment Book by following the below guide:
Configure the HotDoc Dashboard
Once you have been registered for Specialist Bookings, navigate to the HotDoc Dashboard to start setting up your practice for online bookings. Through the on-boarding process, you will have an email address and password configured for your user which you can use to sign into the Dashboard.
|When accessing the HotDoc Dashboard and Sidebar, we recommend using Google Chrome as your default web browser.|
In this article
1. Set up your Clinic Users
Once you have registered for Specialist Bookings, a clinic user will be created for you as part of the on-boarding process. If you are wanting to grant other users in the practice access to the HotDoc Dashboard and Sidebar, then you will need to invite them from the Dashboard.
- See How to create a new Clinic User for step by step instructions.
The Sidebar is for processing patient appointments and the Dashboard is for setting up your preferences. If you only want a user to have access to patient appointments, then the Sidebar Only option may be more appropriate.
2. Set up your Practice Profile
Once in the Dashboard, we recommend that you start your setup with the Practice Profile section. Your Practice Profile allows patients to know what kind of clinic you are and what services and facilities you provide.
- See Editing your Practice Profile for step by step instructions.
3. Set up your appointment types
While you have appointments configured in Genie, you will need to also set up different appointment types in your HotDoc Dashboard. This allows HotDoc to know what type of appointments you wish to put online.
- See How to add, edit or remove appointment types for step by step instructions.
For Genie customers, there is some extra information, outlined below in section 3a, 3b, 3c and 3d:
3a. Asking for patient referral
- If you are wanting to ensure that your patients have a valid referral, check the box next to Ask patient in they have a referral. If the referral is required to make a booking, select the Yes, otherwise select No and add in terms and conditions:
- Once you have set this preference up, a patient will see the below window when attempting to book an appointment at the clinic through HotDoc:
Referral uploads are not yet available to all clinics. If you would like to trial this feature please contact by clicking the green Support button.
- To allow patients to upload their referral:
To enable this, check the box next to Ask patient if they have a referral:
If a referral is required to make an online appointment, select the Yes radio button and add in terms and conditions into the field:
If the patient is required to upload their referral, select the Yes radio button:
Press the green Save button.
- When a patient tries to create a booking through HotDoc, they will be asked to:
- Confirm if they have referral:
- Input the practitioner who issued the referral (either by selecting from the drop-down or inserting this information manually by clicking can't find your Practitioner?):
- Upload their referral and accept the terms and conditions:
Before uploading their referral
After uploading their referral
- Confirm their appointment details to send the request through to your clinic:
- Confirm if they have referral:
- You can then access the referral in the Dashboard by going to Bookings > Bookings History > Click the arrow next to the booking and select View Referral:
Please note: The referral link will expire 30 days after the appointment date. If the appointment has been cancelled, it will expire 30 days after the date of cancellation. It will then say Referral preview expired:
- You can also see this if a booking is sent through to the Sidebar by clicking View Referral:
3b: Setting appointment durations
To ensure that appointments are booked correctly, it's important that the appointment duration in this window matches the appointment duration in your Genie Appointment Book:
In the example above ,we have allowed both existing and new patients to book a specific appointment type. The default appointment length can be adjusted to suit your practice, however, if you have 10 minute appointment slots in Genie then it is beset to stick to that multiplier (i.e. 10min, 20min etc.) when adding appointment types in your HotDoc settings.
3c: Linking your appointment types
You must ensure that you link the appointment type in your HotDoc dashboard to the corresponding appointment type in Genie.
In the below case, we have created a new appointment type and linked it to our Procedure and New Patient type in Genie:
3d: Limiting available online times to Genie Schedules
If you wish to limit the times that are shown online to specific Genie Appointment Schedules that are already set up in your appointment book, you will need to select the Custom Schedules option:
In the example above, the appointment type is set to only show available times online that are within the clinic's Procedure appointment schedule.
Please note: You can select more than one appointment type by clicking on the drop down menu.
4. Set up your practitioners
Just like Appointment Types, you are required to set up Practitioners in the HotDoc Dashboard to let HotDoc know what doctors to put online.
See How to add or edit a Practitioner for step by step instructions.
5. View your Bookings Page
If you want to see what your practice looks like from a patient's perspective on the HotDoc website, you can click on the View my Bookings page button at the top of the Dashboard:
If you have a HotDoc account, you can try booking yourself as a patient through this page, then watch it sync back to your Genie Appointment Book.
After you have finished setting up your Dashboard, you can set up your HotDoc Sidebar using the following article.