Why isn't my one time code for multi-factor authentication accepted?
If you are encountering an issue with entering your one-time code and encountering an error, please try the following suggestions below to resolve the issue.
- Ensure that the code has not expired. For security reasons, the one-time codes are valid for 30 seconds only. After 30 seconds, a fresh code will be generated. Please ensure that the code you have entered matches what is on your authenticator application. You may need to re-enter a new code.
- Check that the code you are inputting is for your HotDoc account, not another account/application. If you use an authenticator app for more than just your HotDoc account, you will likely have codes generated for several applications. Double check to make sure the code you are entering is a HotDoc one!
- Use one of your backup codes to login to the Dashboard instead.
- If you have previously set up multi-factor authentication and had to disable, then re-enable it, you may still have codes generated for the disabled account if you haven’t deleted it on your authenticator application.
- Try the one-time code generated for the most recent HotDoc multi-factor authentication setup.
- If you can’t tell which code is generated for the most recent setup, try all of them and delete the other ones as they are not valid anymore.
- If this doesn't work, you may wish to try using a recovery code. If you have exhausted or lost all your recovery codes, please follow the steps here: What can I do if I've lost my recovery code for multi-factor login?