How do I open a Dental4Windows (D4W) patient file from the HotDoc Calendar?
- How to open a patient file in D4W
- Troubleshooting tips
How to open a patient file in D4W
You can open a patient's D4W file from the patients appointment in the HotDoc Calendar. Please ensure that you:
- Are logged into the installed version of the Sidebar, and keep this running at all times (this can be pinned, or minimised).
- Have the D4W program running. If you don't, you will see an error message in the Sidebar
- When you see this pop up message: Tick the box to allow HotDoc access to open these files, then select Open HotDoc Sidebar.
Once you have completed the above, follow the instructions below to open a patient file in D4W from the Dashboard:
- Log in to the HotDoc Dashboard and the installed version of the HotDoc Sidebar.
Sidebar login (installed on your computer)
- In the Dashboard, go to Calendar and click on the patients appointment.
- In the edit appointment module, click D4W patient file:
- If you have the D4W program running and the Patient Records tab open, this should find the patient file in D4W for you to open the file:
Error message: Unable to open patient file: The HotDoc Sidebar needs the right access to run the automation.
If you received this error message in the Sidebar or the Dashboard when clicking D4W Patient file, change the Sidebar settings to run the program with administrator privileges. To do this:
Right click the Sidebar shortcut on your desktop > Properties:
Click the Compatibility Tab > check the box next to Run this Program as administrator > select Ok:
Note: Due to the version of Windows you're using, 'Run this program as administrator' may be pictured differently like the screenshots below
- Close the Sidebar and re-open it again. Go back to the Dashboard, and click D4W patient file. The file should open as expected in D4W.