The following article explains how to view your HotDoc Payments in the Dashboard. In particular, it will provide an overview of:
- Definitions of payment statuses and writebacks into your practice management software
- How to view patients payments in the Dashboard
- Links to articles for how to set up payments, generate reports, collect or cancel payments, issue refunds, modified and rescheduled appointments, or if an appointment is eligible for bulk billing
We also recommend viewing How does a patient pay for their consult? to see the patient journey such as how we charge the patient and what happens if their payment method is rejected.
What are the Payment Status'?
The following table displays defines the payment status that you may see in the Dashboard, relating to a patients payment:
|Requested:||Patient has been asked for a payment method|
|Card Details Stored:||Patient has successfully added a payment method for this appointment|
|Request Expired:||Patient has not added a payment method within the allotted time (within 30 minutes of requesting the booking)|
|Cancelled:||Patient has cancelled their appointment|
|Processing Payment:||Payment is being processed. For failed payment attempts, HotDoc has sent a SMS requesting the patient to update|
|Paid||Payment has been successfully collected|
|Processing Refund:||A refund for the payment is bring processed|
|Refunded||Payment has been successfully refunded|
|Payment Failed||Payment attempt has failed due to the patient's card being declined or having insufficient funds|
How to view payments and status of payments
There are a few ways to see an overview of payments and check on a patient's payment status:
- In the Appointment Book - recommended for checking the individual status for upcoming appointments
- In the HotDoc Dashboard under Online Bookings - recommended for getting an overall idea of payment status and history
- In the HotDoc Dashboard under Patient Search - recommended for isolating the payment history of a specific patient
Appointment Book (practice management software)
When a patient books a paid appointment online, HotDoc will enter the appointment as usual into your Appointment Book. It will also update the payment status as a live write back on the patients appointment:
- The payment status (Card stored for payment, Paid and Refunded) will write back to the appointment in your practice management software as a change log so you will see the latest update, alongside prior updates. You can see this when you expand the appointment details in your book:
Example of payment status in a Best Practice appointment
Example of payment status in a Pracsoft Appointment
Example of payment status in a Zedmed appointment
Payments > Booking Activity section
To get a more complete overview of payment status for a number of patients at once, or to see your whole online booking payment history, we would recommend using your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Payments > Bookings Activity to view a log of your online or practice booked appointments with payments attached:
- You can then filter by Practitioner or Payment Status depending on what kind of information you are looking for:
- You can also filter by name in the top right corner to find payments made by one person:
- This section also allows you to Refund your customers, see How do I refund a HotDoc Payment to the patient? to learn more.
To see the payment status or history of a specific patient, we recommend using the Patient Search feature in your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Patients > Patient Search. Type the patient's name and select Search:
- Select View next to the correct patient details:
- Select the Payment History section to view an audit of all their previous payments via HotDoc. From here you can also cancel or refund any payment requests:
What happens if I modify the patient's appointment?
If you have made a modification to the original booking and still intend for the patient to attend, you can now send a manual request for patients card details for the new upcoming appointment.
To do this, please see: What happens to a patients payment details if I modify their appointment?
What do I do if the patient is eligible for bulk billing?
|If the patient booked a privately billed appointment type online but has since seen the practitioner and been cleared for bulk billing, you can cancel the fund collection by following the steps in this article How do I cancel a HotDoc Payment?|
Helpful articles and resources (eg. generating reports, refunds, handling cancellations, rescheduling or DNAs)
Below are a list of helpful support articles that will assist you in managing your payments:
- How to collect a payment for a patient's appointment
- How do I cancel a HotDoc Payment?
- How does a patient claim their Medicare Rebate for their payment made via HotDoc?
- How does a patient pay for their consult?