HotDoc Payments may require some basic management in the Dashboard in order to see an overview of funds gathered and to perform refunds.
|Before learning how to manage your ongoing payments, it might be helpful to know how we charge a patient for a consultation. See How does a patient pay for their consult? for further information.|
In this article
How to view payments and status
With HotDoc Telehealth Payments, there are a few ways to see an overview of payments and check on a patient's payment status:
- In the Appointment Book - recommended for checking the individual status for upcoming appointments
- In the HotDoc Dashboard under Online Bookings - recommended for getting an overall idea of payment status and history
- In the HotDoc Dashboard under Patient Search - recommended for isolating the payment history of a specific patient
When a patient books a paid appointment online, HotDoc will enter it as usual into your Appointment Book as well as update the payment status as a live write back:
- When you view the details of the appointment, you can see the patient's contact details, as well as payment status as it occurs:
- The payment status (Card stored for payment, Paid and Refunded) will write back to the appointment as a change log so you will see the latest update, alongside prior updates. You can see this when you expand the appointment details in your book:
Example of payment status in a Best Practice appointment
Example of payment status in a Pracsoft Appointment
Example of payment status in a Zedmed appointment
To get a more complete overview of payment status for a number of patients at once, or to see your whole online booking payment history, we would recommend using your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Payments > Online Bookings to view a log of your online booked appointments with payments attached:
- You can then filter by Practitioner or Payment Status depending on what kind of information you are looking for:
Payment Status Options
Requested - Patient has been asked for a payment method
Card Details Stored - Patient has successfully added a payment method for this appointment
Request Expired - Patient has not added a payment method within the allotted time
Cancelled - Patient has cancelled their appointment
Processing Payment - Payment is being processed. For failed payment attempts, HotDoc has sent a SMS requesting the patient to update
Paid - Payment has been successfully collected
Processing Refund - A refund for the payment is being processed
Refunded - Payment has been successfully refunded
Payment Failed - Payment attempt has failed due to the patient's card being declined or having insufficient funds.
- You can also filter by name in the top right corner to find payments made by one person:
- This section also allows you to Refund your customers, see How to issue a refund to learn more.
To see the payment status or history of a specific patient, we recommend using the Patient Search feature in your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Patients > Patient Search. Type the patient's name and select Search:
- Select View next to the correct patient details:
- Select the Payment History section to view an audit of all their previous payments via HotDoc. From here you can also cancel or refund any payment requests:
How to generate a report
Reports of your payments can be generated providing you a comprehensive spreadsheet to help with calculating payments per doctor.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Payments > Download Reports:
- Select a date range that you want for your report:
- Once you are satisfied with your date range, select the Download button:
How to handle no shows and DNAs
HotDoc will not automatically collect funds if the appointment has been moved to a No Show type status in your clinical software.
If the patient has not attended, or the appointment has not yet been marked as seen or gone (depending on your clinical software), you can collect or cancel the funds manually from the patient using the HotDoc Dashboard. This collect option is only applicable if it is still within 5 business days of the appointment request.
If you wish to collect a different amount other than what was set in the appointment type (such as a lower DNA fee), we recommend that you call the patient and organise an alternative payment method such as a Payment Request.
If you wish to collect the exact amount set in the appointment type, follow the steps below:
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, head to Bookings > Payments > Online Bookings then locate the booking you wish to collect. You can the select the Collect button.
- You will then be asked to confirm that you wish to collect the funds. It is at this point that you have the option to modify the amount to collect (ie, if you need to charge for a long consult; or if they need a concession discount). From there, select Collect amount to continue:
- The patient will receive an email advising them of the funds being finalised.
How to handle cancellations and rescheduled appointments
HotDoc will not collect any funds if the patient successfully cancels their appointment. This could include if the patient:
- Calls to cancel
- Cancels via the HotDoc app
- Has their appointment manually cancelled in the appointment book via reception
If a patient calls and wishes to reschedule their online booked appointment, you can urge them to either:
- Cancel via the HotDoc app and create another appointment at a new time that suits them. This option will cancel the collection of funds for their current appointment and then take them to create a new appointment instead.
- Cancel and move the appointment in the appointment book. This option will cancel the request for HotDoc to process the payment so you will need to organise your own payment method for the rescheduled booking.
What if the patient is deemed eligible for bulk billing?
If the patient booked a privately billed appointment type online but has since seen the practitioner and been cleared for bulk billing, you can cancel the fund collection by following the steps below:
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, head to Bookings > Payments > Online Bookings then locate the booking you wish to collect. Here, you can the select the Cancel button:
- You will then be asked to confirm that you wish to cancel the funds. Select Yes, Cancel to continue:
- The patient will receive an email advising them the funds have been cancelled and you can move forward with any bulk billing processes your practice has.
How to issue a refund
|If a patient calls to cancel, cancels via the HotDoc app, or you manually cancel the booking in your appointment book, the funds will simply not be collected by HotDoc. There is no need for a manual refund.|
Please note, if you are refunding a payment that has already been captured by the processor, the processing fees will not be refunded to your account.
To process a refund for an appointment where the payment has been captured by HotDoc, follow the steps below:
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, head to Payments > Online Bookings then locate the booking you wish to refund. You can the select the Refund button:
- You should then see a pop up box appear asking you to confirm the refund. Select Yes Refund to process the funds back to the patient:
- The Patient will receive an email advising them of the refund and that the funds will be returned within 5 business days:
What if I modify an appointment?
If you have made a modification to the original HotDoc booking, and still intend for the patient to attend, you will need to organise your own payment method for that patient.
There may be times when you will change details of the appointment that we have already placed in your appointment book.
Any manual modification to the appointment is seen as a cancellation of the original HotDoc Booking. As a result, if you make a modification and will take no payment from the patient.
Modifications may include:
- Changing the appointment duration
- Changing the start time of the appointment
- Copying and pasting the appointment into another time slot, or even back into the same time slot
- Changing the practitioner
If you perform any of these changes to the HotDoc booking, you will need to organise for the patient to make a payment manually.