HotDoc Payments may require some basic management in the Dashboard in order to see an overview of funds gathered and to perform refunds.
|Before learning how to manage your ongoing payments, it might be helpful to know how we charge a patient for a consultation. See How does a patient pay for their consult? for further information.|
Please read the guide below to learn how to view and manage your payments through the HotDoc Dashboard.
In this article
How to view payments and status
With HotDoc Telehealth Payments, there are a couple of ways to see an overview of payments and check on a patient's payment status:
- In the Appointment Book - recommended for checking the individual status for upcoming appointments
- In the HotDoc Dashboard - recommended for getting an overall idea of payment status and history
When a patient makes an online Telehealth booking, we will enter it as usual into your Appointment Book as well as update the payment status a live write back.
- When you view the details of the appointment, you can see the patient's contact details, as well as payment status as it occurs:
- The payment status (Payment Authorised, Paid and Refunded) will write back to the appointment as a change log so you will see the latest update, alongside prior updates. You can see this when you expand the appointment details in your book:
Example of payment status in a Best Practice appointment
Example of payment status in a Pracsoft Appointment
Example of payment status in a Zedmed appointment
To get a more complete overview of payment status for a number of patients at once, or to see your whole online booking payment history, we would recommend using your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Payments > Online Bookings to view a log of your online booked appointments with payments attached:
- You can then filter by Practitioner or Payment Status depending on what kind of information you are looking for:
Select All - shows all bookings that have a payment status associated
Requested - Payment pre-authorisation from the patient has been requested
Received - Patient has completed the pre-authorisation of payment
Paid - Payment has been collected in full from the patient
Refund Requested - A refund has been requested by the clinic
Processing Refund - A refund is being processed but is not yet complete
Refunded - Payment has been refunded to the patient
Cancelled - Patient did not pay before the cut off time
- You can also filter by name in the top right corner to find payments made by one person:
This section also allows you to Refund your customers, see How to issue a refund to learn more.
How to generate a report
Reports of your payments can be generated providing you a comprehensive spreadsheet to help with calculating payments per doctor.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Payments > Download Reports:
- Select a date range that you want for your report:
- Once you are satisfied with your date range, select the Download button:
How to handle no shows and DNAs
HotDoc will automatically return the pre-authorised funds to the patient if the appointment has been moved to a No Show type status in your clinical software.
If the patient has not attended, or the appointment has not yet been marked as seen, you can collect the funds manually from the patient using the HotDoc Dashboard. This collect option is only applicable if it is still within 5 business days of the appointment request.
If you wish to collect a different amount other than what was pre-authorised (such as a lower DNA fee), we recommend that you call the patient and organise an alternative payment method.
If you wish to collect the pre-authorised amount, follow the steps below:
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, head to Bookings > Payment History then locate the booking you wish to collect. You can the select the Collect button:
- You will then be asked to confirm that you wish to collect the funds. Select Collect amount to continue:
- The patient will receive an email advising them of the funds being finalised.
How to handle cancellations and rescheduled appointments
Funds will automatically return to the patient after the pre-authorisation has lapsed if the patient:
- Calls to cancel
- Cancels via the HotDoc app
- Has their appointment manually cancelled in the appointment book via reception
If a patient calls and wishes to reschedule their online booked Telehealth appointment, you can urge them to either:
- Cancel via the HotDoc app and create another appointment at a new time that suits them. This option will cancel the pre-authorisation of funds on their current appointment and then take them to create a new pre-authorisation of funds for the new booking.
- Cancel and move the appointment in the appointment book. This option will cancel the pre-authorisation of funds for their current booking but you will need to organise your own payment method for the rescheduled booking.
How to issue a refund
|If a patient calls to cancel, cancels via the HotDoc app, or you manually cancel the booking in your appointment book, the funds will automatically return to the patient after the pre-authorisation has lapsed. There is no need for a manual refund.|
To process a refund for a pre-authorised appointment, follow the steps below:
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, head to Payments > Online Bookings then locate the booking you wish to refund. You can the select the Refund button:
- You should then see a pop up box appear asking you to confirm the refund. Select Yes Refund to process the funds back to the patient:
- The Patient will receive an email advising them of the refund and that the funds will be returned within 5 business days:
What if I modify an appointment?
If you have made a modification to the original HotDoc booking, and still intend for the patient to attend, you will need to organise your own payment method for that patient.
There may be times when you will change details of the appointment that we have already placed in your appointment book.
Any manual modification to the appointment is seen as a cancellation of the original HotDoc Booking. As a result, we will automatically let the pre-authorisation for the funds lapse if you make a modification and will take no payment from the patient.
Modifications may include:
- Changing the appointment duration
- Changing the start time of the appointment
- Copying and pasting the appointment into another time slot, or even back into the same time slot
- Changing the practitioner
If you perform any of these changes to the HotDoc booking, you will need to organise for the patient to make a payment manually.