The following articles explains how to manage your HotDoc Payments in the Dashboard. This article will provide an overview of:
- How to view payments and the definitions of the different payment statuses
- What happens when an appointment is modified, or if it is eligible for bulk billing
- Links to helpful articles for how to generate reports, issue refunds, what to do if patients cancel reschedule or do not attend.
We also recommend viewing How does a patient pay for their consult? to see the patient journey such as how we charge the patient and what happens if their payment method is rejected.
What are the Payment Status'?
The following information are the types of payment status that you may see in the Dashboard, relating to a patients payment:
|Requested:||Patient has been asked for a payment method|
|Card Details Stored:||Patient has successfully added a payment method for this appointment|
|Request Expired:||Patient has not added a payment method within the allotted time (within 30 minutes of requesting the booking)|
|Cancelled:||Patient has cancelled their appointment|
|Processing Payment:||Payment is being processed. For failed payment attempts, HotDoc has sent a SMS requesting the patient to update|
|Paid||Payment has been successfully collected|
|Processing Refund:||A refund for the payment is bring processed|
|Refunded||Payment has been successfully refunded|
|Payment Failed||Payment attempt has failed due to the patient's card being declined or having insufficient funds|
How to view payments and status of payments
With HotDoc Payments, there are a few ways to see an overview of payments and check on a patient's payment status:
- In the Appointment Book - recommended for checking the individual status for upcoming appointments
- In the HotDoc Dashboard under Online Bookings - recommended for getting an overall idea of payment status and history
- In the HotDoc Dashboard under Patient Search - recommended for isolating the payment history of a specific patient
Appointment Book (practice management software)
When a patient books a paid appointment online, HotDoc will enter it as usual into your Appointment Book as well as update the payment status as a live write back on the patients appointment:
- The payment status (Card stored for payment, Paid and Refunded) will write back to the appointment as a change log so you will see the latest update, alongside prior updates. You can see this when you expand the appointment details in your book:
Example of payment status in a Best Practice appointment
Example of payment status in a Pracsoft Appointment
Example of payment status in a Zedmed appointment
Payments > Online Bookings section
To get a more complete overview of payment status for a number of patients at once, or to see your whole online booking payment history, we would recommend using your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Payments > Online Bookings to view a log of your online booked appointments with payments attached:
- You can then filter by Practitioner or Payment Status depending on what kind of information you are looking for:
- You can also filter by name in the top right corner to find payments made by one person:
- This section also allows you to Refund your customers, see How do I refund a HotDoc Payment to the patient? to learn more.
To see the payment status or history of a specific patient, we recommend using the Patient Search feature in your HotDoc Dashboard.
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, navigate to Patients > Patient Search. Type the patient's name and select Search:
- Select View next to the correct patient details:
- Select the Payment History section to view an audit of all their previous payments via HotDoc. From here you can also cancel or refund any payment requests:
What happens if I modify the patient's appointment?
If you have made a modification to the original HotDoc booking, and still intend for the patient to attend, you will need to organise your own payment method for that patient.
There may be times when you will change details of the appointment that we have already placed in your appointment book.
Any manual modification to the appointment is seen as a cancellation of the original HotDoc Booking. As a result, if you make a modification and will take no payment from the patient.
Modifications may include:
- Changing the appointment duration
- Changing the start time of the appointment
- Copying and pasting the appointment into another time slot, or even back into the same time slot
- Changing the practitioner
If you perform any of these changes to the HotDoc booking, you will need to organise for the patient to make a payment manually.
What do I do if the patient is eligible for bulk billing?
If the patient booked a privately billed appointment type online but has since seen the practitioner and been cleared for bulk billing, you can cancel the fund collection by following the steps below:
- In your HotDoc Dashboard, head to Bookings > Payments > Online Bookings then locate the booking you wish to collect. Here, you can the select the Cancel button:
- You will then be asked to confirm that you wish to cancel the funds. Select Yes, Cancel to continue:
- The patient will receive an email advising them the funds have been cancelled and you can move forward with any bulk billing processes your practice has.
Helpful articles and resources (eg. generating reports, refunds, handling cancellations, rescheduling or DNAs)
Below are a list of helpful support articles that will assist you in managing your payments:
- How does a patient pay for their consult?