HotDoc Telehealth Payments is a service that allows patients to be automatically charged for a Telehealth consult type that they have booked via the HotDoc Online Booking page.
|HotDoc payments uses a pre-authorisation method to collect funds from the patient. The pre-authorisation allows funds to be held for 5 business days.|
Because HotDoc payments uses a pre-authorisation method, HotDoc will currently show appointments available to book for the practitioner only 3 days in advance.
In this article
How does the patient pay?
|If a patient chooses to make an appointment that requires payment, they will be asked to pay within 30 minutes of requesting the appointment.|
A patient will be directed to create an online booking with their HotDoc account for your clinic. See Online Bookings Patient Journey to learn more about this.
We will request that they pay as soon as they finish requesting the appointment, within 30 minutes of making the booking.
- The patient will need to select the Pay Now button where they will be directed to a payment portal to enter their credit card details:
- Once the patient pays, their appointment is confirmed and they will receive an email confirming their appointment and the payment authorisation.
- Once the patient has attended their appointment and it has been marked as seen, another email will be sent to them to confirm that their payment has been successful:
If the patient does not pay within 30 minutes of requesting the booking, HotDoc will cancel the appointment request automatically and receive an email to inform them of the cancellation:
What if the patient cancels or does not attend?
There may be times when a patient decides to cancel in advance, or does not attend their appointment time.
- If the patient cancels their appointment and has already pre-authorised their payment, we will release the pre-authorisation after the 5 days. We will also email the patient to let them know the pre-authorisation has lapsed and no funds are taken.
- If a patient does not attend their booking and has been marked as a 'no show', HotDoc will return the pre-authorisation of the funds back to the patient. If you wish to collect back the pre-authorised amount, we recommend that you use the 'Collect' option in the HotDoc Dashboard. If you wish to charge the patient a different DNA fee, contact them directly to discuss alternative payment methods.
How are refunds handled?
|When a refund is processed, the funds can take up to 5 business days to appear back on the patient's payment method.|
HotDoc payments initially takes a pre-authorisation of the funds. Because of this, the funds are taken only after the appointment time has been attended.
If you wish to provide a refund to the patient after HotDoc have already taken the pre-authorisation, please see How to issue a Refund.
We will then send the patient an email to let them know that the refund is being processed and to expect the funds back into their card within the next 5 business days.
How does a patient claim their Medicare rebate?
|For mixed billing or private billing, we recommend that you charge the patient for the full amount of the appointment upfront and then send the claim electronically to Medicare using your clinical software.|
When a claim is sent to Medicare as a privately paid appointment that the patient has paid for in full, it triggers a payment from Medicare to the patient's nominated bank account.
You can learn more about sending the claim to Medicare with the links below:
- Medicare Online options for health professionals
- BP Online claiming for private
- Online claiming with Pracsoft
- Patient claim with Zedmed
The patient will receive an email after their appointment to confirm the full charge you set in the HotDoc Dashboard. The email will also contain some links on how to make a Medicare claim and how to check if Medicare has the patient's latest bank details to assist them with the rebate:
Example of email confirming charge and rebate links