You may need to install the HotDoc Sidebar and connector service if your practice:
- Has just signed up to use HotDoc as a service provider
- Has gone through a server migration or update which has removed the previous instance of HotDoc
- Has a new or existing workstation that requires the HotDoc Sidebar (e.g. a reception computer)
Follow the steps below to be taken through the system requirements needed for HotDoc and the installation instructions, or log into your HotDoc Dashboard and navigate to Setup > Install HotDoc for further information.
In this article
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003, Server 2008R1 are known to have compatibility issues with the latest versions of HotDoc (version 3.3.x and above). If you are using one of these legacy Operating Systems, contact HotDoc for an appropriate earlier version.
- For HotDoc versions 3.60.x and above .NET 4.5 is required. This is included by default with Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows 2012. For older Windows editions it can be downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/confirmation.aspx?id=42642
- If your configuration blacklists by default, then the following domains must be whitelisted on your firewall:
How to install if you are new to HotDoc or have performed a server migration/update
- Log in to your server using an administrator account.
- Download the HotDoc installer from this link.
- Run the installer and follow the prompts (leave all defaults unless you require a different install directory)
- When the installation is complete the sidebar should automatically open up on the right-hand side of the screen and a shortcut should appear on your desktop:
- Log into the HotDoc Sidebar using your Clinic User (the email you received your user invitation to as well as the password that you set).
- Click ‘Open Dashboard’, and a new window will open with the HotDoc Dashboard login page:
- Log into the HotDoc Dashboard with the same Clinic User details you used for the Sidebar.
- Navigate to Setup > Install HotDoc and complete all details as required by your selected practice management system the select Save:
You can use the ‘Use this device’ option to set your ‘Server path’ to the current machine's computer name.
- Once complete, if successful, you should see a green Connected light in the Sidebar:
- The practice's public profile can now be configured under Setup > Practice Profile
How to install HotDoc on a new workstation (not server)
We recommend that the HotDoc Sidebar is installed on appropriate workstations at the practice so your reception team can monitor any patient requests that require actioning.
After completing the server installation, please see How to download the HotDoc Sidebar for downloading the Sidebar onto any reception workstations.